During the academic year one must be:
• Full-time graduate student enrolled each semester
• Full-time intern or trainee*
• Visiting scholar with an invitation from an NYC area academic institution
· From any country, including the United States
· 21 years of age and older
*Interns and trainees are defined graduate students or recent graduates (within 1 year of completion) gaining supervised work experience in their field of study.
Applications are accepted year round. Applications for arrival anytime during the academic year (September to May) are reviewed weekly.
As you walk through the application portal you will be asked to submit the following:
Your name, address, date of birth, etc.
You will indicate your preferences in order. Please explore our room types.
Verification of status may include:
- acceptance letter for the upcoming or current semester OR
- registrar’s statement indicating full-time enrollment OR
- signed I-20 or DS-2019 form
For Interns and Trainees
- a letter from the organization or company indicating full-time status including your salary and the beginning and ending dates of your internship or training program
For Visiting Scholars
- a letter from your university or institution which states the full-time nature of your research OR – signed I-20 or DS-2019 form
Verification of financial information may include:
- a copy of your financial aid package from your university OR
- signed I-20 OR
- a letter from your sponsoring organization OR
- a copy of your bank statement OR
- a letter from your employer stating your salary OR
- an affidavit of support (click to download the PDF) from your parents or sponsor.
Please write 3 separate and distinct short paragraphs (100-200 words each) that support each of the following statements:
- How have you demonstrated your global citizenship and cultural awareness?
- How have you made or hope to make an impact in your local community or the larger society?
- What experience, talents, training or special interests do you have that you feel you could contribute to enhance the I-House community?
- Optional: Is there anything else we should know about you that you believe will be useful when reviewing your application?
For academic year, fall semester or spring semester applicants only. This helps the committee learn more about you.
For academic year, fall semester or spring semester applicants only-optional but highly recommended for applicants who were referred by an I-House trustee, alumnus/a or resident.
Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed.
If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (212) 316-8436.