Event: Sustainability Tour of Governors Island
Date: November 5, 2021
Welcomed by the Friends of Governors Islands Executive Director Merritt Birnbaum, who will be our guide for a special walking tour that will explore the Islands unique focus on sustainability and addressing the climate crisis.
Highlights included visits to:
1. The Billion Oyster Project, a citizen science project that is repopulating NY Harbor with oyster reefs to improve water quality, protect against storm damage and restore local ecosystems
2. GrowNYC, a one-acre urban farm and teaching garden
3. Earth Matter, a compost learning center that processes over 30,000 lbs of organic waste per month
4. The Open Orchard, a public artwork of 100 hybrid fruit trees that grow multiple types of fruit on the same tree, thereby preserving heirloom varieties that have been lost to industrialization and climate change
5. The Bee Conservancy, a grassroots organization dedicated to saving the bee population and empowering underserved communities to improve food security and environmental health.