International House offers a welcoming community to students, scholars and young professionals coming from around the globe to study or train in NYC.
Residents attend or work at leading universities, businesses, and cultural, non-profit, and government institutions across the city.
Opportunities for professional and personal growth abound; through various programs and activities within the House, Residents are challenged to share and explore the wide diversity of opinions and experiences found across the I-House community.
- Graduate students (full-time or part-time)
- Full-time undergraduate students (20 years old and older)
- Interns and trainees* (full-time or part-time)
- Visiting Scholars
- I-House Alumni who are recent graduates (12/2019 to present) looking for a job
*During the academic year, “interns” and “trainees” are defined as graduate students or recent graduates (within 1 year of completion) gaining supervised experience in their field of study. Occasional exceptions may be made for admission during the academic year, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, for undergraduate students over the age of 21 or graduate students under the age of 21.
Special Fall Promotion: Free Meals for Residents!
Food has always been an important part of the I-House experience, with residents making lifelong friendships over a meal at an I-House event or in the Dining Hall. To celebrate re-opening, we're thrilled to offer a very special one-time perk: Beginning August 1st, we will offer each resident a $500 credit for use in the I-House Cafeteria during the Fall 2021 semester. Scroll down for more details.
Please note: A refundable security deposit equal to one month’s room fees will be due upon arrival.
International House accepts applications throughout the year! Apply now to join our global community of students, scholars, and future global leaders at International House NYC!
We encourage you to apply early for the peace of mind that you have a safe and welcoming community to come to.
Applications for the 2021-22 Academic Year and the Fall 2021 semester will be reviewed regularly throughout the summer months.
Additional deadlines to be added later
Admission to International House is selective. Applicants are reviewed on individual merit, commitment to the International House mission, and a willingness to share their time and talent with the I-House community through its varied programs. The Admissions Committee selects residents representing as many countries, cultures, fields of study and institutions as possible and seeks approximately one-third U.S. residents. Each year we typically are able to admit 1 out of every 3 applications. We encourage all to apply!
As you walk through the application portal you will be asked to submit the following (incomplete applications cannot be reviewed):
- Personal Information
- Verification of eligibility as a graduate student, intern, visiting scholar
- Verification of ability to meet tuition and living expenses for the application period and/or financial aid application
- Three (with optional 4th) short statements of purpose (for academic year, fall semester or spring semester applicants only)
- Resume or CV
- Letter of recommendation
- $70 non- refundable application fee
I-House is proud to offer need-based financial aid to Residents to assist with expenses. These opportunities are made possible through the generous support of corporations, foundations and individuals such as alumni and trustees. These gifts ensure that International House is able to maintain the exceptional geographic, cultural and economic diversity that is central to the mission.
Awards range from $1,000 for one semester to $6,500 for the full academic year. There are a variety of funds available each with different criteria. Click the button below to find the fund for you and the details regarding the application.
Deadline: The 1st of the month April-July Decision: The 15th of the month April-July
Each academic year, select Residents are carefully chosen to be Fellows. I-House Fellows receive leadership development while serving and supporting their peers in the I-House community. Fellows learn to draw upon their strengths as intercultural communicators to plan programs that build community and facilitate interaction among Residents. These leadership roles carry out I-House’s mission to make life at I-House a rewarding experience that embraces respect, empathy, and moral courage.
As a Resident member of the I-House community, you will be more than a resident; you will be part of a community committed to advancing the core values of Respect, Empathy, and Moral Courage that characterize the I-House Experience.
Students, scholars and interns looking for safe housing in New York City and a fun, immersive experience are encouraged to apply.
Details of Fall 2021 Free Meals Promotion
- Beginning August 1st, we will offer each resident a $500 credit for use in the I-House Cafeteria during the Fall 2021 semester.
- The $500 credit will be available for those staying through the Fall 2021 semester and can be spent on meals and a la carte items through December 31, 2021.
- Arrivals during October will receive a credit of $400, and those who arrive in November will receive $300. Those who arrive in December will not be eligible for this special promotion. Any unused credit as of January 1, 2022 will be forfeited.
- At the end of this special re-opening promotion, the mandatory Dining Services fee of $5.75 per day will be reinstated; appearing as a monthly charge to all residents, this fee will be applied to credit for use in the I-House cafeteria during the Spring semester.