International House offers a welcoming community to students, scholars and young professionals coming from around the globe to study or train in NYC.
Residents attend or work at leading universities, businesses, and cultural, non-profit, and government institutions across the city.
Opportunities for professional and personal growth abound; through various programs and activities within the House, Residents are challenged to share and explore the wide diversity of opinions and experiences found across the I-House community.
- Graduate students (full-time or part-time)
- Full-time undergraduate students (20 years old and older)
- Interns and trainees* (full-time or part-time)
- Visiting Scholars
- I-House Alumni who are recent graduates (12/2019 to present) looking for a job
- Vaccination against Covid-19 is a requirement for membership. We can assist with compliance.
*During the academic year, “interns” and “trainees” are defined as graduate students or recent graduates (within 1 year of completion) gaining supervised experience in their field of study. Occasional exceptions may be made for admission during the academic year, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, for undergraduate students over the age of 21 or graduate students under the age of 21.
Special Promotion: Free Meals for New Residents!
Food has always been an important part of the I-House experience, with residents making lifelong friendships over a meal at an I-House event or in the Dining Hall. To celebrate re-opening, we're thrilled to offer a very special one-time perk: we are giving each new resident for the spring semester a $500 credit for use in the I-House Cafeteria during the semester. Scroll down for more details.
Living quarters in I-House South are being planned with reduced occupancy to ensure that there is plenty of space between rooms. To minimize sharing of communal spaces, each floor will be self-contained, with bathrooms and a shared lounge accessible only to the floor’s Residents.
Please note: A refundable security deposit equal to one month’s room fees will be due upon arrival.
International House accepts applications throughout the year! Apply now to join our global community of students, scholars, and future global leaders at International House NYC!
We encourage you to apply early for the peace of mind that you have a safe and welcoming community to come to. Complete applications are reviewed weekly.
Admission to International House is selective. Applicants are reviewed on individual merit, commitment to the International House mission, and a willingness to share their time and talent with the I-House community through its varied programs. The Admissions Committee selects residents representing as many countries, cultures, fields of study and institutions as possible and seeks approximately one-third U.S. residents. Each year we typically are able to admit 1 out of every 3 applications. We encourage all to apply!
As you walk through the application portal you will be asked to submit the following (incomplete applications cannot be reviewed):
- Personal Information
- Room preferences
- Why I-House – describe for us why you want to be a part of the I-House community in 300 words or less (for academic year, fall and spring applicants only)
- Verification of eligibility as a full-time graduate student, intern, visiting scholar
- Verification of ability to meet tuition and living expenses for your application period and/or financial aid application
- $70 non- refundable application fee
I-House is proud to offer need-based financial aid to Residents to assist with expenses. These opportunities are made possible through the generous support of corporations, foundations and individuals such as alumni and trustees. These gifts ensure that International House is able to maintain the exceptional geographic, cultural and economic diversity that is central to the mission.
Awards range from $1,000 for one semester to $6,500 for the academic year. There are a variety of funds available each with different criteria. Click the button below to find the fund for you and the details regarding the application.
Deadline: November 14, 2021 Decision: December 3, 2021
As a Resident member of the I-House community, you will be more than a resident; you will be part of a community committed to advancing the core values of Respect, Empathy, and Moral Courage that characterize the I-House Experience.
Students, scholars and interns looking for safe housing in New York City and a fun, immersive experience are encouraged to apply.
Details of the Free Meals Promotion
- Each newly arrived resident for the spring semester will receive a $500 credit for use in the I-House Cafeteria during the spring 2022 semester.
- The $500 credit will be available for those staying through the spring 2022 semester and can be spent on meals and a la carte items through May 13, 2022.
- Arrivals during February will receive a credit of $400, and those who arrive in March will receive $300. Those who arrive in April will not be eligible for this special promotion. Any unused credit as of May 13, 2022 will be forfeited.
- At the end of this special re-opening promotion, the mandatory Dining Services fee of $5.75 per day will be reinstated; appearing as a charge to all residents, this fee will be applied to credit for use in the I-House cafeteria.