Graduate Student Housing NYC. International Student Housing New York City
Admission to International House is selective. Applicants are reviewed on individual merit, commitment to the International House mission, and a willingness to share their time and talent with the I-House community through its varied programs. The Admissions Committee selects residents representing as many countries, cultures, fields of study and institutions as possible and seeks approximately one-third U.S. residents. Each year we typically are able to admit 1 out of every 3 applications. We encourage all to apply!
• Full-time graduate student enrolled each semester
• Full-time intern or trainee*
• Visiting scholar with an invitation from an NYC area academic institution
· From any country, including the United States
· 21 years of age and older
*Interns and trainees are defined graduate students or recent graduates (within 1 year of completion) gaining supervised work experience in their field of study.
Applications are accepted year round. Applications for arrival anytime during the academic year (September to May) are reviewed weekly.
As you walk through the application portal you will be asked to submit the following:
Your name, address, date of birth, etc.
Admitted applicants will select a room for themselves after being admitted. Please explore our room types.
Verification of status may include:
- acceptance letter for the upcoming or current semester OR
- registrar’s statement indicating full-time enrollment OR
- signed I-20 or DS-2019 form
For Interns and Trainees
- a letter from the organization or company indicating full-time status including your salary and the beginning and ending dates of your internship or training program
For Visiting Scholars
- a letter from your university or institution which states the full-time nature of your research OR – signed I-20 or DS-2019 form
Verification of financial information may include:
- a copy of your financial aid package from your university OR
- signed I-20 OR
- a letter from your sponsoring organization OR
- a copy of your bank statement OR
- a letter from your employer stating your salary OR
- an affidavit of support (click to download the PDF) from your parents or sponsor.
Please write 3 separate and distinct short paragraphs (100-200 words each) that support each of the following statements:
- How have you demonstrated your global citizenship and cultural awareness?
- How have you made or hope to make an impact in your local community or the larger society?
- What experience, talents, training or special interests do you have that you feel you could contribute to enhance the I-House community?
- Optional: Is there anything else we should know about you that you believe will be useful when reviewing your application?
For academic year, fall semester or spring semester applicants only. This helps the committee learn more about you.
For academic year, fall semester or spring semester applicants only-optional but highly recommended for applicants who were referred by an I-House trustee, alumnus/a or resident.
Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed.
If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office:
Phone: (212) 316-8436
International House accepts applications throughout the year! Apply now to join our global community of students, scholars, and future global leaders at International House NYC!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be no arrivals before August 15th for Fall 2020 and Academic Year 2020-2021.
Applicants applying to International House receive an admission decision on a rolling basis 2-4 weeks from the point the application became complete.
For the 2020-2021 academic year complete applications will be reviewed and decisions sent via email on the 1st of each month.