January to May
International House offers a welcoming community to students and interns from around the globe. Opportunities for professional and personal growth abound; through various programs and activities within the House, Residents are challenged to share and explore the wide diversity of opinions and experiences found across the I-House community. As a Resident member at I-House, you will be more than a Resident; you will be part of a community that believes in the core values of Respect, Empathy, and Moral Courage that characterize the I-House Experience.
Students, interns, and scholars looking for safe, flexible housing in New York City and an immersive experience of fun and globally-minded leadership training are encouraged to apply.
As an I-House Resident member, you will experience programs planned to build community among yourself and your housemates. The events planned are designed to acquaint members with one another, help them grow intellectually, and dive deeply into today’s global topics.
During the Fall, Residents enjoyed a social distance picnic and virtual events focused on health and wellness, the impact of COVID in Brazil, the effect of racism in the US, and many more topics. There were also safe social events such as ice cream socials, virtual coffee hours, language lessons, movie viewing parties, and other safe ways for Residents to get to know each other.
- Graduate students (full-time or part-time)
- Full-time undergraduate students (20 years old and older)
- Interns and trainees (full-time or part-time)
- Visiting Scholars
- I-House Alumni who are recent graduates (12/2019 to present) looking for a job
Room Rates and Fees
For Spring 2021, we are proud to provide rooms in I-House North, which offers studio apartments and one-bedroom apartments with private bathrooms and kitchens and single occupancy rooms in 3-4 bedroom apartments with kitchens and no more than 3 people sharing a bathroom. Due to the impact of COVID-19, I-House South will remain closed for Spring 2021.
We have instituted health and safety protocols for entry in accordance with state and federal guidelines such as mandatory face coverings, temperature checks, plexiglass shields, additional hand sanitizing stations, and social distancing reminders throughout the building, controlled access to high-traffic areas such as the lobby and elevators, and increased cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces. I-House is also supporting Residents in the compliance of NYS 14-day quarantine requirements. Should you be required to quarantine upon arrival, we will provide you with an isolated space and ensure delivery of food and other necessities.
Other required fees are:
- $70 application fee
- Refundable security deposit – one month’s room fees based on the room type assigned
- Computer Lab
- Music Practice Rooms
- Mail Room
- Study Center
- Laundry Rooms
- Bike Storage
When to Apply
Applications for Spring 2021 housing are available now. We encourage you to apply early for the peace of mind that you have a safe and welcoming community to come to. Those who apply and are admitted early will have a chance to select their own room and time to finalize their plans.
Please note that I-House has rolling admission. This means that the Admissions Office will continue to process applications through the new year until all the rooms are filled.
I-House is proud to offer need based financial aid to Residents to assist with expenses. These opportunities are made possible through the generous support of corporations, foundations and individuals such as alumni and trustees. Awards for the spring 2021 semester are equal to one month free (for most room types)!
“First and foremost, I am beyond grateful and humbled. The I-House community has been a pillar of support during these times of uncertainty. Without support from I-House, my experience would not be possible. I am excited to be part of this community and contribute in creative ways to the core mission and values.” – Javier M., Guatemala, Columbia University, Public Administration
The following funds are available for the Spring 2021 semester:
- General Resident Fund – Awards of $2,000 to former Residents applying to return to I-House for the spring semester or to new applicants hoping to live at I-House for the first time. Awards are based on need and intended to make I-House more affordable to those who would not afford it without the support.
- The Haberman Fund – Awards of up to $2,000 will be made to Residents demonstrating financial need. The fund was established by I-House alumna Phyllis Haberman to assist Residents with their financial needs while living at I-House.
- Dodge Foundation Fund Need based awards of up to $4,000 will be made to Residents from the Middle East or studying Middle Eastern Studies.
- Mitsui USA Foundation Fund Awards of $2,500 will be made to Residents who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Made possible by The Mitsui USA Foundation, the program was developed to foster educational efforts that promote international understanding and closer U.S.-Japan relations. Qualified applicants should have strong communication skills and an interest in international affairs or business.
- The Thea Petschek Iervolino Foundation Awards of $3,250 each to Residents studying art, music or education. Thea Petschek Iervolino, ‘48 was an avid patron of the arts and International House. She has expressed her life-long commitment to International House in various ways including the generous support allowing for financial aid awards.
- The Leslie H. Gelb Fund – Awards of up to $2,000 to Residents studying Journalism or International Affairs. Mr. Gelb had a long and distinguished career as a correspondent and columnist for The New York Times, then served as senior Defense and State Department official.
There is one application for all of the funds listed above. Although you may be eligible for more than one it is only possible to receive one.
Financial Aid Deadline: We will continue to review financial aid applications until all awards are dispersed to qualifying applicants. To inquire about award availability please contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com.
Questions?? Please contact the Admissions Office.
Phone: (212) 316-8436 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org