As New York City continues on its path to recovery, International House NY is confident in its ability to welcome new and returning residents into its safe housing and global community for the 2021-22 academic year. We have been implementing extensive health and safety protocols and modifications to our facility and are now accepting applications for residency for both I-House South and I-House North.
I-House has been a home for the world’s next leaders across every region and industry for nearly 100 years. While the global pandemic continues to create uncertainty and challenges, we are committed to providing an elevated living and learning community experience for postgraduate students, interns and trainees in NYC. Here are the top 5 reasons to live at I-House this year.
1) Health & Safety: We are committed to reducing the risk of exposure to our community.
- Fully vaccinated community – All Residents, staff and guests will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide verification. If you are not able to be fully vaccinated prior to arrival we will assist you to get the vaccine within 72 hours of your arrival. We also require all members, Residents and staff, to participate in regular Covid-19 testing.
- Cleaning protocols – All communal spaces are cleaned multiple times throughout the day with high traffic areas getting the most attention. All mandated and recommended protocols are adhered to closely.
- Reduced occupancy in I-House South – We plan to re-open I-House South at a reduced occupancy level to minimize the number of Residents sharing communal spaces including bathrooms and floor lounges and to not exceed the capacity to isolate and quarantine anyone who tests positive or is a close contact of someone who tests positive for Covid-19.
- Quarantine and isolation spaces to accommodate positive cases – As per industry standard, we have set aside a number of studio apartment and rooms with private bathrooms in case anyone needs to be isolated or quarantine due to Covid-19 diagnosis or exposure. During the 2020-21 academic year there was an opportunity to perfect the protocols and procedures and we are confident in our ability to safely isolate anyone who tests positive and provide full support to anyone in isolation or quarantine while keeping the rest of the community and the staff safe.
2) Events & Programming: I-House offers a variety of exclusive events designed to provoke meaningful dialogue about critical topics and promote international understanding across our global I-House community. We continue to offer the same quality and diversity of programming that characterize the I-House experience. The Programs team is busy planning a full array of programs for the fall 2021 semester designed to bring the community together. Some events will be in person and some will be virtual and adjustments will be made throughout the year. Residents can expect many of the traditional events that I-House is known for such as salon nights and cultural hours and some new and innovative programs to make the most of the I-House experience. Additionally, a number of leadership and financial aid programs are available for eligible Residents who serve as ambassadors of our mission or support the community in other ways. In addition to Fellowships, I-House offers various opportunities for Residents to receive professional development and even funding for their own project proposals.
3) Global Health & Wellness Services: Led by our on-site Resident Social Worker and Program director, I-House is proud to offer a suite of Health & Wellness services to assist residents with any topics or concerns they may experience. Topics addressed include mental health, fitness and nutrition, and issues specific to navigating in environments that are academically rigorous, intercultural, and globally diverse.
4) Amenities: Located steps from Riverside Park, Sakura Park, and public transportation to all of New York City, I-House is staffed with a reception desk and monitored 24/7. All amenity spaces have been re-opening slowly since January 2021 as soon as it was safe and possible to do so and we are thrilled that all amenity spaces will be open and available for the community for the 2021-22 academic year. Available amenities include free Wi-Fi; a staffed mail-room, bicycle storage room, 24/7 laundry facilities, and music practice rooms, The Main Lounge, HR Commons, the Map Lounge and the Dodge Room, the Frohlich Gymnasium and the Frohlich Fitness Center, the Dining Hall and Floor Lounges on each floor in I-House South. For the safety of the community there are limitations on the capacity of these communal spaces.
5) Global Alumni Network: With more than 65K Alumni in 145 countries, the I-House experience doesn’t end with residency. I-House residents gain access to connections and mentorship opportunities through special events held annually worldwide and the ability to join I-House’s exclusive networking platform, I-House Connect, for life.
Available options in I-House North consist of studio apartments and one-bedroom apartments with private bathrooms and kitchens. Students also have the option of single occupancy rooms in 3-4-bedroom apartments with kitchens and no more than 3 people sharing a bathroom.
In I-House South there are single occupancy rooms without a sink or with a sink. Bathroom facilities are shared by the residents on the floor and each bathroom has 3-4 toilets and 3-4 shower stalls to be shared by 15-20 people. All bathrooms are fully cleaned by I-House staff daily with high touch areas sanitized twice daily.