As New York City continues on its path to recovery, International House NY has been implementing extensive protocols and modifications to our facility. We continue to monitor developments and are confident in our ability to welcome residents into our global community safely for the upcoming academic year.
I-House has been a home for the world’s next leaders across every region and industry for nearly 100 years. While the global pandemic continues to create uncertainty and challenges, we are committed to providing an elevated living and learning community experience for postgraduate students, interns and trainees as they pursue their respective studies and careers in NYC. Here are the top 5 reasons to live at I-House.
1) Health & Safety: We are committed to providing a safe environment for our onsite community of residents and staff.
- Vaccination requirement – All Residents, staff, and guests are required to be fully vaccinated and provide verification. If you are not able to be fully vaccinated prior to arrival, we will assist you to get the vaccine within 72 hours of your arrival. We also encourage all members, Residents and staff, to participate in regular Covid-19 testing.
- Cleaning protocols – All communal spaces are cleaned multiple times throughout the day, with high traffic areas getting the most attention. All mandated and recommended protocols are adhered to closely.
- Quarantine and isolation spaces to accommodate positive cases – As per industry standard, we have set aside a number of rooms with private bathrooms in case anyone needs to be isolated or quarantine due to Covid-19 diagnosis or exposure. Our protocols and procedures are thorough, with our team providing full support to affected residents throughout their isolation.
2) Events & Programming: I-House offers a variety of exclusive programming and events designed to provoke meaningful dialogue about critical topics and promote international understanding between members of our global community. Each year, the Programs team plans a full array of programs exclusively for current residents that are designed to create opportunities for them to meet one another and experience together. Many events also welcome alumni from across the world to attend in person or virtually. Residents can expect many of the traditional events that I-House is known for, such as salon nights and cultural hours, as well as some new and innovative programs to make the most of the I-House experience. Additionally, a number of leadership and financial aid programs are available as Fellowships for eligible Residents who serve as ambassadors of our mission or support the community in other ways. In addition to these roles, I-House offers various opportunities for Residents to receive professional development and even funding for their own project proposals.
3) Global Health & Wellness Services: I-House is proud to offer a suite of Health & Wellness services to all residents. Led by the Global Health & Wellness Program Director and onsite Social Worker, our Resident Support Services team is available to assist residents with any topics or concerns they may experience. Topics addressed include mental health, fitness and nutrition, and issues specific to navigating in environments that are academically rigorous, intercultural, and globally diverse.
4) Amenities: Located steps from Riverside Park, Sakura Park, and public transportation to all of New York City, I-House is staffed with a reception desk and monitored 24/7. Amenities include free Wi-Fi; a staffed mail-room, bicycle storage room, 24/7 laundry facilities, and music practice rooms. Communal spaces include the 9th Floor Terraces (in warm weather), the Main Lounge, HR Commons, the Map Lounge and the Dodge Room, the Frohlich Gymnasium and the Frohlich Fitness Center, the Dining Hall and Floor Lounges on each floor in I-House South.
5) Global Alumni Network: With more than 65,000 Alumni in 145 countries, the I-House experience doesn’t end with residency. I-House residents gain access to exclusive networking and mentorship opportunities through special events held annually worldwide.
Available options in I-House North consist of studio apartments and one-bedroom apartments with private bathrooms and kitchens. Students also have the option of single occupancy rooms in 3-4-bedroom apartments with kitchens and no more than 3 people sharing a bathroom.
In I-House South there are single occupancy rooms without a sink or with a sink. Bathroom facilities are shared by the residents on the floor and each bathroom has 3-4 toilets and 3-4 shower stalls to be shared by 15-20 people. All bathrooms are fully cleaned by I-House staff daily, with high-touch areas sanitized twice daily.