As New York City continues on its path to recovery, International House NY is confident in its ability to welcome new and returning residents into its safe housing and global community for the 2020 academic year. We have been implementing extensive health and safety protocols and modifications to our facility and are now accepting applications for residency in our North Building.*
I-House has been a home for the world’s next leaders across every region and industry for nearly 100 years. While the global pandemic continues to create uncertainty and challenges, we are committed to providing an elevated living and learning community experience for postgraduate students, interns and trainees in NYC. Here are the top 5 reasons to live at I-House this year.
1) Safety: We are committed to reducing the risk of exposure to our community, working in coordination with health authorities. In addition to keeping closed our dormitory-style South building and limiting occupancy to the apartments of our North building, we have instituted new protocols for entry in accordance with state and federal guidelines. Other health and safety precautions include mandatory face coverings, temperature checks, plexiglass shields, additional hand sanitizing stations and social distancing reminders throughout the building, controlled access to high-traffic areas such as the lobby and elevators, and increased cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces.
2) Events & Programming: I-House offers a variety of exclusive programs and events designed to provoke meaningful dialogue about critical topics and promote international understanding across our global I-House community. Due to COVID-19, most events will be virtual; however, we will continue to offer the same quality and diversity of programming that characterize the I-House experience. Additionally, a number of leadership and financial aid opportunities are available for eligible Residents who serve as ambassadors to support the community.
3) Global Health & Wellness Services: Led by our on-site Resident Social Worker and program director, I-House is proud to offer a suite of Health & Wellness services to assist residents with any topics or concerns they may experience. Topics addressed include mental health, fitness and nutrition, and issues specific to navigating in environments that are academically rigorous, intercultural, and globally diverse.
4) Amenities: Located steps from Riverside Park and Sakura Park, the I-House entrance is staffed and monitored 24/7. For Fall 2020, available amenities include free Wi-Fi; a staffed mail-room, bicycle storage room, 24/7 laundry facilities. All apartments are furnished with a bed, desk and chair, with an additional table and chairs in suites.
5) Global Alumni Network: With more than 65K Alumni in 145 countries, the I-House experience doesn’t end with residency. I-House residents gain access to connections and mentorship opportunities through special events held annually worldwide and the ability to join I-House’s exclusive networking platform, I-House Connect, for life.
*International House is comprised of two adjacent buildings, I-House South and I-House North. While I-House South, our dormitory-style building, remains closed for now, I-House North, an apartment building, is open for the 2020-21 academic year.
Available options consist of studio apartments and one-bedroom apartments with private bathrooms and kitchens. Students also have the option of single occupancy rooms in 3-4-bedroom apartments with kitchens and no more than 3 people sharing a bathroom. View photos here.